Newtrax Moves Headquarters To Historic Building in Downtown Montreal
Newtrax has recently moved its Headquarters to the beautiful historic building on 360 Saint-Jacques street in Downtown Montreal, Canada where it now occupies the entire 8th floor.
The decision to move was made due to the rapidly increasing size of the team located in Montreal, which has doubled since last year. The headquarters is the main office for employees in R&D, Quality Assurance, Services, Production, Administration, and Finance.
Larger Space for a Growing Team
We believe that no global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Our new space will enable us to welcome new additions to our world-class group of talent as we expand our technology offering and support global growth.
We teamed up with creative gurus Polygraphe to redesign the interior of our new office and give it the Newtrax look and feel — which is heavily inspired by the environment of underground hard rock mining. We will reveal the finished product on our blog once it’s complete, so stay tuned!
History of the Building
Established as the Royal Bank headquarters in 1928, the building site was part of the very first concession granted on the Island of Montreal by Governor Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve, on January 4, 1648. At the time, the construction costs amounted to $6.5 million.
The Royal Block stands on an entire city block, almost square in shape, in the heart of the former Canadian business centre. This 22-storey skyscraper has a steel structure and is clad in grey limestone – the lower part in Queenston, Ontario limestone acquired a buff colour over time. The building, the tallest in the city in 1928, stands out for the setbacks imposed by the by-law governing buildings higher than ten storeys. Thus, a tour topped by a block covered by a pavillion roof appears on a massive pedestal several storeys high, including a monumental ground floor.
The keys to the small rectangular openings at street level represent personages, including a Mercury (Hermes to the Greeks), the patron deity of commerce. The two bronze drums of the grand entrance portal are topped by gryphons, mythical creatures which have come down through the ages, which support the bank’s monogram. The framing of the doors, in Levanto marble, is adorned with decorative bronze motifs representing Canadian and British coins, all surmounted by the coat of arms of the United Kingdom, also adopted by Canada. Higher on the building, the ensigns of Canada’s provinces, sculpted in bas-relief in the stone, surround the colonnade at the building’s angles.
On November 11, 2011, the building at 360 Saint-Jacques received an internationally renowned certification. It became the first building in Old Montreal to obtain a LEED certificate (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) for an existing building. In achieving this outcome, Gestion Georges Coulombe followed the best environmental practices available in North America for office buildings. During a process that spanned more than three years, many renovations were completed, data were gathered and the highest energy efficiency standards that such certification demands were put in place.